If you’re looking for a family-friendly destination that celebrates the Africa’s incredible outdoor offerings, then the KZN South Coast is top of the list. Known as the Paradise of the Zulu Kingdom, this beautiful region is home to some of the best outdoor adventures from land to sea.
The Sardine Run
The cooler months bring with them the most incredible ocean spectacle – the Sardine Run. Nicknamed ‘The Greatest Shoal on Earth’, the sardine run brings millions of silver fish close to shore, making this a bucket-list adventure for anglers, divers and all nature-lovers. Besides the enthralled humans, the Sardine Run attracts hungry dolphins, sharks, big game fish and seabirds – it’s a must-see spectacle.
World-class dive sites
The KZN South Coast is home to two globally revered dive sites – Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks. There are many local tour operators ready to kit you out and take you scuba diving, shark cage diving, freediving or simply snorkelling off a charter boat at these Marine Protected Areas. Enjoy a close-up experience with dolphins, turtles, rays and colourful reef fish with the humpback whale migration between June and November.
Explore the hinterland
The KZN South Coast is more than just the beautiful Indian Ocean, it also boasts a range of incredible hinterland adventures for those with a taste for nature-based excursions and cultural quests.
- Get ready to go hiking, biking or 4×4 journeying through the forest-based KwaNzimakwe Multi-Trails.
- Go hiking along the cliffside to the KwaXolo Caves. Within these cool rock shelters, you can actually view centuries-old San paintings before enjoy a picnic with a view.
- Cultural learnings continue into Nyandezulu Experience where you can tour a village and engage with local communities.
- Zulu history and tradition can also be found through the storytelling, art and performances at Ntelezi Msani Heritage Centre.
The latest must-try offering is the KZN South Coast Agri-CULTURE Tours which features six farm-fresh stops across the region:
- BBS Farm
- Animal Farm at B’s Guesthouse
- Ubumbano Homestead
- Beaver Creek Coffee Estate
- Mac Banana Estate
- Mpenjati Coffee
Connect with nature by sampling freshly-grown produce, home-made condiments, and meals with a local flavour. While indulging in the taste of the KZN South Coast, you can also enjoy farm-based activities such as hiking, biking and fishing.
The KZN South Coast is also known as ‘The Golf Coast’ – for good reason! There are 11 top golf courses that extend from Scottburgh to Port Edward and inland to Harding:
- Umkomaas Golf Club
- Scottburgh Golf Club
- Selborne Park Golf Estate
- Umdoni Park Golf Club
- Port Shepstone Country Club
- Harding Country Club
- Margate Country Club
- Southbroom Golf Club
- San Lameer Golf Course
- Port Edward Country Club
- Wild Coast Sun Country Club
Whether you’re teeing off at Selborne Park Golf Estate or sinking a putt at the Wild Coast Sun Country Club – a Top 10 course in South Africa – there’s a green to suit every golfer. Ocean views, indigenous forests and welcoming 19th holes make playing a round at the KZN South Coast one to remember.
Find out more about the KZN South Coast by downloading the FREE ‘Explore KZN South Coast’ app or visit www.visitkznsouthcoast.co.za.